Every week it seems a new auction record for an artwork or artist is established. This course offers you the rare opportunity to understand how this happens and what it means to buy and sell art at auction. You will learn about the history and evolution of auctions, and gain the skills to identify current auction trends. The course will also provide an introduction to the basic theoretical concepts and the practical aspects of the auction process such as bidding, assigning value, consignments, guarantees and legal issues. As a result, you will be able to participate in auctions more strategically and to analyze auction results more confidently.
By the end of this course:
- You will learn how auctions work, and understand the main concepts and associated terminology.
- You will gain an understanding of how values are assigned to art and how prices are determined at auction.
- You will gain a theoretical understanding of the auctioneering process.
- You will develop analytical skills to critically evaluate the performance of mainstream and regional auction sales.
- You will critically evaluate the opportunities, challenges and risks of the auction market from a more informed perspective.