What does it take to buy and sell a work of art successfully at auction? Buying and Selling Art at Auction offers an insider’s perspective on the thrilling, fast-paced world of art auctions, taking you behind the scenes to learn from top professionals at one of the world’s premier auction houses. The course will examine questions such as: Who are the key players in an auction house, and what do they do? What are the different factors that determine the price of art, and how are values assigned? How has the internet changed the role of auctions in today’s art market? By the end of the course, students will master concepts such as commissions, reserves, guarantees, and irrevocable bids. Perfect for aspiring collectors, dealers, or the curious, this course will enable participants to approach art auctions with the knowledge and confidence necessary to succeed.
This Premier Online Course features weekly recorded lectures and faculty-guided discussion boards to maximize flexibility and deliver an engaging and interactive digital experience.
Students will learn:
- To evaluate the opportunities, challenges, and risks posed by buying and selling artwork at auction.
- To analyze and evaluate published auction results.
- To identify and describe how values are ascribed and prices are determined for works of art sold at auction.
- To recognize the legal, financial and technical aspects involved in buying and selling works of art at auction.
- To assess the changes introduced by e-commerce and evaluate how digital platforms are transforming the auction business.