Many individuals in the art world express the desire to pursue (or progress) their career. But what are the key qualifications and vocational skills that will help you succeed in this industry?
This course will take a balanced view of the many challenges and opportunities emerging in the art world at this truly historic and transformative moment. With a keen focus on emerging trends, particularly those that are likely to endure and redefine the industry long term, students will learn first-hand the future roles that will be highest in demand, in both the commercial and public sectors.
The traditional disciplines of art history, curation, acquisitions, conservation, and outreach will also be viewed through new lenses, as students learn the tools needed to deal with current issues including racial discrimination and sustainability, therefore preparing them for “the next normal.”
Organized around a series of eight expert-led lectures, this course will provide insight drawn from commercial galleries, museums, and cultural organizations. The course will include discussions with high-profile experts from the sector, providing a deeper understanding in each subject. Live Q&A sessions will supplement your learning at every step.
This Intensive Course consists of live-streamed lectures and discussions. Recordings of the live sessions are accessible anytime during the course via our online learning platform, Canvas.
Students will learn:
- How the pandemic is permanently shaping the ways art is bought, sold, and experienced.
- To understand the roles that are the most resilient within the art world, in the commercial and public sectors.
- How to examine the current issues and disparities in the art world, and practical ways of addressing them.
- To understand emerging perspectives in art curation and art collecting.
- How to identify and harness opportunities for change, from racial discrimination to sustainability.