Learning online is an accessible and practical education option. No matter where you are in the world, a computer and a reliable internet connection is all you need to connect to our learning platform and participate in one of our online courses.
Your course takes place entirely online in Sotheby’s Institute’s learning platform – Canvas. Canvas is an intuitive, self-contained environment that requires no additional software and is easily accessible via our homepage.
Within Canvas, you will have access to a variety of materials for each week’s lessons, such as:
- Weekly instructor-narrated video lectures that you are able to pause and replay.
- A selection of readings complementary to the week’s topic.
- Additional web resources, like podcasts, that offer multiple perspectives.
- Instructor-guided discussion boards to answer your questions and expand on key concepts.
- Different types of assessments with individual feedback from your instructor, for example short written essays or quizzes.
This short video allows you the opportunity to see the student experience within Canvas.
At the beginning of each week your instructor frames the core concepts using a variety of the above content. While courses will vary in the types of materials used, we structure them with a consistent format and pace from week to week, so the lessons are easy to follow and review. As many instructors and Sotheby’s Institute Online alumni can attest, being able to rewind, pause, and replay any lecture allows for greater retention of the material. This structure empowers you to reach the learning objectives specific to your course and have a comfortable and collaborative experience.
Throughout the course, our faculty are with you every step of the way. To encourage you and your fellow classmates to explore each week’s topics in full, they pose questions and provide feedback through written discussion boards. The more you can engage with your instructor and peers; the more productive and enjoyable your learning experience will be.
Staying on Track
Courses can be accessed 24 hours a day, seven days a week and are designed without scheduled live-sessions. Many students choose to log on 3 - 4 times each week to engage with the discussion boards and the course materials.
Therefore it takes an independent, organized, and motivated learner to get the most out of this flexible learning environment. We provide time management strategies to avoid pitfalls before your course starts.
We want you to succeed! Try answering yes or no to the statements below to evaluate if the online learning experience is right for you:
- I am willing to ask for the help I need in my courses by asking questions of other students and the instructor.
- I have 6-9 hours each week to dedicate to my class studies.
- I feel comfortable expressing my ideas and questions in writing and have successfully done so using email, discussion boards, and/or social media in the past.
- I have the technology, such as a reliable computer and Internet access, necessary to participate in an online course.
- With guidance, I am willing to try to learn new computer technologies and I understand how to read and follow technical instructions to accomplish new tasks.
To make sure your first day of online learning is a success, please make sure that your computer meets the minimum requirements for online coursework and that you have updated to the most recent version of the Google Chrome, Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge web browser, with all available updates installed.
For more detailed information, please see the Canvas guidelines for supported browsers.
We strongly encourage you to have access to a reliable computer with a strong Internet connection. While you can access our online courses on your mobile or tablet device, it is easiest to participate in discussions and complete assignments on a laptop or desktop computer.
For technical support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or by using the “Help” button within Canvas navigation. We are ready to help!
You can also access the Canvas Student Guide. It is a complete knowledge base of the learning management system.